Friday, January 26, 2007

Bow to your Chair



this piece was started by Candace and then went to Shelley.....3 more artists to go.

Candace:....this piece occurred to me at Tassajara Zen Center as I was going through the meditation introduction in the zendo there . Unable to sit on a cushion, I had to use a chair..and when the instructor told the group to bow to your seat, or your chair...I was amused. Having painted many a chair, and having a lot of thoughts/ideas about chairs, the notion of bowing to my chair seemed to have many implications for me..

As I worked, thoughts of my sister accompanied me and I found myself adding half of a Buddha diagram, which I soaked in lapsang souchong tea, from my morning cup. When I found that I had smudged and smeared some of the paint, I liked that occurrence., the mess of it. Expectations always create a mess, so I left them. I wanted the chair to resemble a stamp something about to travel, be received, so I added the ever appealing 5 as postage. It is hard to decide to send it off...as it isn’t finished! ...but then, that is the idea...to just strart...not to finish.

1 comment:

termeh said...

It's just amazing the journey that these pieces go through! Where they start from and how they turn out at the end.
I have to say, I like this piece even more for the drastic change that it went through alone. In fact, every completed piece that I've seen so far that I liked has gone through similar journey.
The best ones have gone through such change that they've developed their own unique character.