Thursday, May 17, 2007

rejection


comments by Candace: This piece is titled "Rejection", started by Maryam, then worked on by Mario, and then Termeh before coming to me. While thinking about working on it...I began circling it, having a dialog with it, alternating between liking it and not liking it. Thinking of ways into it and rejecting them. REJECTION. I thought the interesting thing about rejection/(Rejection) is that it can promote healing. As I finally began working on this piece...I started adding little squares of maps and gluing them over some of the squares that Maryam had painted. She had used symbols for men, women, heart, devil, pitchers, many things. Since the title is Rejection I started by rejecting these symbols, covering them with little abstract portions of maps...symbolizing paths taken, veered off from, following dead ends, inserting an oasis, ges range (read guess), on through death valley, forks in the road, areas permanently closed (over a tear), a stone connection for a fragmented heart, salt lakes/ salt well. I added tiny fragments of language, useless as shafts of cathedral light. I was absorbed in the information in each little square, the symbolism, the graphic qualities, the colors.
When I was satisfied with my maps...my/I gravitated toward the henna tattoos that Mario had inserted and around which Termeh had painted dark gray/an impenetrable dark gray behind her ethereal clouds. I found it disturbing/this gray surrounded the tattoo in a way I found claustrophobic and yet made me wander that area like a labyrinth until I exited and knew what to do. Intuitive 5th Chakra symbol over the henna tattoo. After some research, I found that the 5th chakra represents the possibility for change, transformation, and healing. I knew it was the right thing for this piece. I had to marvel at the universe and it's mysterious ways. Rejection/Healing...one and the same.


















First piece to be completed was started by Maryam...went then to Mario , Termeh, Candace and Shelley last.

1 comment:

termeh said...

This was an interesting one for me. In a way, I didn't have to think much about it, just go along with a sense of motion and movement that's in the piece.
Maryam's little squares of coda and symbols are so loaded to me that I've had to keep manipulating them in one way or another.
I think this piece came together really nicely. There's great sense of balance although quite formal.